Developing healthy lifestyle related policy or statements, can also be a good method of providing information to parents/carers about the approach and practices that your setting takes. It is also a good way of ensuring that the children you care for are receiving consistent messages. It is good practice to involve families and staff throughout the development process of writing a policy. Ask for their views, share the final draft with them and keep them updated about any reviews that take place. When writing or a reviewing a policy, you should consider including some or all of the following:
- How will the policy be communicated to parents/carers/staff?
- How will parents be involved?
- What types of food and drink/activities will be provided?
- How will best practice be encouraged?
- What will parents be able to bring from home?
- How will special events be celebrated?
- How will staff be trained and updated?
Click on the links for examples of policies you can use as guides when writing or reviewing your own.